Why We Provide Support for Family Caregivers with Loved Ones Here
We know that involvement from family caregivers is a significant part of a resident’s success in obtaining the highest possible mental, emotional, and physical health. But we recognize, too, that the burden on caregivers is enormous and we're here to help. If you're a caregiver, you may already know this:
- Caregivers are often physically and mentally exhausted after caring for a loved one. At any one time, almost one-third of family caregivers have been providing help for 5 years or longer, and 37 percent have been providing care for 1 to 4 years.
- Fifty-nine percent of family caregivers have jobs in addition to caring for another person. Often, they have to quit their jobs, reduce their work hours, or take time off because of caregiver responsibilities.
- Sixty-one percent of caregivers are women.
- Most caregivers are middle-aged.
- Thirteen percent of caregivers are aged 65 years and older.
- Fifty-nine percent of family caregivers have jobs in addition to caring for another person.
Those are documented facts from womenshealth.gov and the Alzheimer's Association. But what only caregivers themselves know is just how much they have to do — to the point of often neglecting their own health. We see it every day. And we think they need a break, so at Regents Park Boca Raton we provide a number of services to help them.
Visiting Loved Ones in Comfortable Surroundings
Of course, we invite caregivers daily to join their loved ones for meals and social activities, provide conveniences such as free valet parking, and host weekly support groups, including the American Alzheimer's Association’s Caregiver Support Group. We make certain, too, that visiting with your loved one needn't be restricted to a patient room.photo of sitting-room That's why our tropical garden areas include benches, tables and chairs that surround the building. Some of the garden areas are large; some are smaller and more intimate. Inside our facility we have atriums — three on each unit — an ice cream parlor, activity rooms, a library, and a spacious lobby. And our visiting hours are 24/7.
Participation in Our Care Plan Programs
Beyond that, we view family caregivers as partners in their loved ones' care. That means family members are strongly encouraged to actively participate in care plan meetings with our professional team. They're also invited to observe or even take part in a therapy session. And, because we know that upon a resident's discharge caregivers will likely still need to provide support for their loved one, we offer family member training in therapeutic techniques that might be applicable upon a resident’s discharge.
Free Wi-Fi to Help You Do Your Work or Stay in Touch
Incidentally, if you're a caregiver who spends a great deal of time at Regents Park Boca, please feel free to bring in a laptop or tablet such as an iPad. We provide free Wi-Fi so that you can get some work done if you need to, or just respond to e-mails and browse the Internet.
Don't go it alone. Let us help you, because the stronger you are, the better you're able to help your family member in partnership with us.